After switching on my computer and starting VMWare Workstation 9, I immediately received this error message:
In this article I will describe how I have solved this issue. Sometimes the information on the knowledge base on vmware.com does not provide enough information to solve this.
Of course you can solve this issue by repairing VMWare Workstation. But sometimes that might be an overkill. With the aid of the event viewer, it is easy to solve.
- Start the event viewer and look for the errors regarding VMWare Workstation.
- Go to a computer with a working VMWare Workstation. Open a DOS box and type both commands as shown below:
We need these settings to re-create the services manually.
- Open a DOS box as admin and type the command as show below. Mind the ‘space’ after the ‘=’ sign, that is mandatory!
- And do the same for the service vmx86:
There is a difference in the ‘binPath’: the file did not exists at the given location….
- And check the results:
- Reboot the machine and enjoy!
Unfortunately I cannot say why these services where deleted. Six Microsoft patches have been installed. So I uninstalled them all, and installed them separately. Unfortunately vmware workstation was not destroyed by one of these updates…