If you want to deploy AppV 5.0 packages, a client is needed. In this article I will describe all the steps that are needed to install the latest AppV 5.0 client. When writing this article it is AppV 5.0 SP3 with hotfix 2.
This version is not available as a ‘complete’ version. First you will have to install AppV 5.0 SP3 client, followed by the hotfix. Fortunately you can ‘merge’ this 2 versions in one installer.
If you extract the AppV 5.0 SP3 installer, you will find 2 MSI files: one for 86 bits and one for 64 bits operating systems. These versions will be patched with the hotfix.
Step 1:: download the software
Download the AppV 5.0 SP3 (MDOP 2014 R2)
You can download MDOP 2014 R2 – which includes AppV 5.0 SP3 – from the Microsoft Volume Licensing Service Center.
Download AppV 5.0 SP3 hotfix 2
You can download Hotfix Package 2 for Microsoft Application Virtualization 5.0 Service Pack 3.
Once completed all the required steps, save the file 484280_intl_x64_zip.exe in the folder C:\AppV50SP3.
Step 2: extract the software
Extract the main installer
- Create the folder C:\AppV50SP3
- Copy appv_client_setup.exe to C:\AppV50SP3
- Extract the content via the command:
C:\AppV50SP3\appv_client_setup.exe /layout C:\AppV50SP3
- There are 2 additionals MSI files in C:\AppV50SP3: for each platform one MSI installer.
Extract the hotfix 2
- Dubbleclick on C:\AppV50SP3\484280_intl_x64_zip.exe and extract to C:\AppV50SP3
- Extract the patches with the command:
C:\AppV50SP3\AppV5.0SP3_Client_KB3060458.exe /layout C:\AppV50SP3
Create the patched MSI file for both x86 and x64 operating systems
This is done via an old technique: create an administrative installation point and patch that administrative installation point with the patch.
- Create an administrative installation point for the x86 bits client:
msiexec /a "C:\AppV50SP3\appv_client_MSI_x86.msi" TARGETDIR=c:\AppV50SP3HF2_aip_x86
- Create an administrative installation point for the x64 bits client:
msiexec /a "C:\AppV50SP3\appv_client_MSI_x64.msi" TARGETDIR=c:\AppV50SP3HF2_aip_x64
- Patch the msi in the administrative installation point with the patch for the x86 bits client:
msiexec /a "C:\AppV50SP3HF2_aip_x86\appv_client_MSI_x86.msi" /p "C:\AppV50SP3\appv_client_kb3060458_x86.msp"
- Patch the msi in the administrative installation point with the patch for the x64 bits client:
msiexec /a "C:\AppV50SP3HF2_aip_x64\appv_client_MSI_x64.msi" /p "C:\AppV50SP3\appv_client_kb3060458_x64.msp"
- An overview of the commands:
Step 3: implement in SCCM 2012
Place the installation files on the software library
- Copy the content from C:\AppV50SP3HF2_aip_x86 to the share with all the packages: \\demo-sccm\SCCMPackages\All Applications\Microsoft_AppVClient_5.0SP3HF2_ENG_W7_1.0.0\x86
- Copy the content from C:\AppV50SP3HF2_aip_x64 to the share with all the packages: \\demo-sccm\SCCMPackages\All Applications\Microsoft_AppVClient_5.0SP3HF2_ENG_W7_1.0.0\x64
Create the software package
Create the SCCM 2012 applications as per screen prints below. The installation command line should at least contain ACCEPTEULA=1. I always add ENABLEPACKAGESCRIPTS=1 so you can add virtualized Click 2 Run packages later.Then there is no need to set this via GPO later.
Deploy the software and check on the client
The deep dive: more info about the upgrade
For whatever reason, Microsoft has decided not to change the ProductCode property. Thus all the AppV 5.0 SP3 packages share the same ProductCode.
If you open C:\AppV50SP3\appv_client_MSI_x86.msi and apply C:\AppV50SP3\appv_client_kb3060458_x86.msp you will see that only the ProductVersion is updated:
So if you want to update the AppV50SP3 client to AppV50SP3 with HF2 then you can do 2 thinks:
- Uninstall the old AppV50SP3 client and install the new AppV50SP3HF2 client.
- Apply only the patch. I have not tested this scenario.